Saturday, September 12, 2015

IS THERE A GOD?


Sermon Summary from Aug 30rd ), “Is There a God?” (Ge 1:1-4; Ps 19:1-4; Apostle’s Creed) 

In the coming weeks we are going to be spending time learning to follow Jesus.  Is it worth it?  Only if there is a God, and only if he is involved in our lives.  And if God is real and is involved in my life, I’d better be involved in his!

So is there a God?  Most of us experience God through creation or experience, many both.  At a time when I was questioning how I was going to help my son overcome his doubts, I found myself high over the Rocky Mountains descending into Albuquerque and as I looked at their majesty there could be no doubt.  I could assure others that God existed.  The following morning I encountered the presence of God in unusual circumstances, and it wasn't the first time.  God is involved in my life.  His involvement has transformed me.  I am a far different person today than the one in an Albuquerque motel 30 years ago.

But, why don’t so many people believe.  I think the inhospitably of many so-called Christians has much to do with it.  Who wants to be like the Westboro Baptist Church?  Then religion in general.  Who wants to side with ISIS cutting off heads and ceremonially raping Christian and Yazidi girls? Religion gives non-believers ammunition.

And then there is the misuse of the Bible.  Too many believe God wanted to give us science or history lessons rather than theology—the story of God and us and his love for us.  “In the beginning God..” That’s what we need to know.  What follows is soaring poetry describing the love affair he desires with us.  His pursuit of us when we fall away.

And let’s not push away scientists.  Some of the greatest discoveries have been by devote scientists.  Galileo (and how did the church treat him?  Georges Lamaitre, a Belgium Priest first postulated the big bang theory in 1927.  It took until 1965 to become settled science.   And what came before? We know.  “In the beginning, God.”

The Apostles Creed begins “I believe in God the Father almighty, maker of heaven and earth.” God, maker.  We normally focus on that word: God, creator of all things.  But there is an equally important word: God, Father.  It is a relational word.  We have a God who created us, loves us and wants to be involved in our lives.  It is only important to follow Jesus if there is a God and if he is involved in our lives.  And I repeat.  If he is, we better be involved in his!  So may it be with you.


No comments: