Sunday, October 2, 2016

GATHERING FOR HIM (INTENTIONALLY)


Sermon Summary (9/25/16), “Gathering for Him.” Act 2:42-47

I recall after I attended my first Lay Speaking course wondering how my fellow students knew so much about the Bible,  How did they know all that?  I became hungry for Biblical knowledge trying on my own, but finally asking the pastor if there was rigorous study that I could attend.  There was a Baptist church about 20 miles away but that did seem to mesh.  Then in 1990, the Methodist Church published Disciple Bible Study.  It changed my life.  It was demanding, 34 weeks with a 2 1/2 hour meeting each week.  Yet I couldn’t wait to get to my little table next to the window each morning, and I couldn’t wait to get with my group, to “gather for him,” each week in a group.  In a group.  That’s the way Jesus taught.  Can you see him gathering his disciples around him on the mount as “he opened his mouth and taught them” in a group?

Paul taught groups; his letters were to groups.  When his letters were received they were read to groups.  Disciple Bible Study was in a group.  The discussion was relevant, it was compelling, it was the most impactful part of my faith journey.

Today we’re talking about Intentional Faith Development.  Faith development is best done in relationship, in groups.  A rabbi once said of the Bible, “We hold this text to sacred.  But when we come together around this book, we share not just the words of the text, we share our lives together.  That’s what Bible study is supposed to do, relate our lives to one another and the sacred text.

The great biblical example is Acts 42 and 46: 42 They devoted themselves to the apostles’ teaching and fellowship, to the breaking of bread and the prayers…. they spent much time together in the temple, they broke bread at home and ate their food with glad and generous hearts.”  The first disciples spent time in the Temple, yes; but they spent time together in studying the Apostle’s teaching (We call that bible study) and sharing around a meal in relationship.

Andy Stanley says we are better in circles than in rows.  That’s why we are offering a new Bible Study called “Disciple Fast Track.”  It will take 24 weeks, meeting on Saturday mornings for just 1 1/4 hours.  And ending before Easter. Thirteen of you signed up last Sunday and I’m hoping that a few more will take advantage of this wonderful offer.  See me.

Small groups change lives.  Bible study changes lives.  Join us!  It will be one of the things you will always look back on fondly.  We’ll all be in circles, and God will be present.  Amen.


No comments: