Monday, March 31, 2008

Lay Speaking Ministries as a Calling

Lay Speaking Ministries as a Calling

Yesterday I had the privilege of teaching a group of certified lay speakers. What a joy! I heard incredible stories of calling, adult conversion, and the power of prayer in convicting those we love. And I heard masterful sermons. Those in the Methodist Church are blessed by gifted and generous laity. And we are blessed to be in a denomination that encourages us to serve.

We can thank Susanna Wesley for our heritage. With elders stretched thin, John Wesley left one of his societies unattended. In his absence, Thomas Maxfield chose to preach. Wesley, intending to cut short this “usurping practice,” was counseled otherwise by his mother: “Take care what you do with respect to that young man, for he is as surely called of God to preach, as are you.” (Collins, Kenneth J., A Real Christian, The life of John Wesley. Nashville: Abingdon Press, 1999. Page 73)

One participant (lay speaker now a local licensed pastor) brought 12 of his parishioners to the lay speaking weekend. His story was a living metaphor of prevenient grace, God working in him, preparing him, readying him for his call long before he knew it. God is good.

Not all are called to be exhorters (provide pulpit supply). Lay Speaking Ministries now touches nearly every ministry of the church. But give thanks for those that are gifted and heed the call to serve churches. The district superintendent noted to me that there are more lay speakers serving churches in his district than retired elders and local licensed pastors combined. I just did a count. There are 19 churches in his district served by lay speakers.

For years, I tried to respond to what I thought was a call to ordained ministry. I could never become comfortable with it. My spouse’s counsel was, “Why turn a perfectly good lay preacher into a mediocre pastor?” What I have found was that my calling is clearly to lay ministry.

And I am blessed to be in a denomination that chooses to employ God’s gifts through the laity.

Blessings all,

Rick

No comments: