Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Stay in Love with Jesus

On Sunday I finished a sermon series on Bishop Job's little book, "Three Simple Rules, A Wesleyan Way of Living," with Rule 3, "Stay in Love with God." The sermon flowed into communion, one of Wesley's recommended means of immersing ourselves grace. We served one another in our seats as the disciples had served one another around the table. I asked that as they passed the bread they would say, "Remember Jesus," and as they offered the grape juice to say, "Stay in love with Jesus."

I decided that the flow of the service would be best served if I took communion last. I started the loaf and the cup on either sides of the aisle and went to the rear. As the loaf finished I took the body from one of my older parishioners and turned to the other side of the aisle. The cup had come to the end and was being held by Suzanna, seven years old. As I went to her and dipped my portion into the wine, without prompting I heard this small voice, "Pastor Rick, stay in love with Jesus." Surely she was God's messenger.

May all of you be blessed as I was.

Rick

No comments: