Friday, February 15, 2008

Day 11. Becoming Best Friends With God

Day 11. Becoming Best Friends With God

This was a good day, a good reading. I grew up with a formal concept of prayer almost believing that one need to pray using a “preacher’s voice,” “Dear Gawed!” Rosemary has long taught me that that wasn’t the way, and we had a friend, Jeff, in Connecticut whose informal prayers were just wonderful. During a particularly tough time, Jeff blurted, “God, Rosemary’s had enough!” It may have been the best prayer I’ve ever heard.

I have too many things on my mind and find that my devotional time gets filled with other thoughts. While I still spend time with a prayer list in front of me and in reading and study, I had long since moved to “every activity” prayers, conversations; and Warren reinforces, in fact recommends it. As I type this, there is plenty of time between keystrokes to pray for each of you, that you will find something in Warren’s writings or others that will shape your relationship with God, Jesus, Holy Spirit and make them best friends, too. “Amen.”

Meditation: “Everything you do can be ‘spending time with God’ if He is invited to be a part of it and you stay aware of His presence.” (p 89) Think, no meditate, about it; not just now but throughout the day or week.

Blessings,

Rick

No comments: