Saturday, July 21, 2018

JOY (FIRST IN THE "JOY" SERIES)


Sermon Summary, 6/17/18, “”Joy!” (Phil 4:4)

I’m back for another year!  Time for a new start.  The Problem of Pain (last sermon series) is behind us.  Time to move on.  Time for Joy!  When asked by friends, “How are you really?”, I arrived at the answer, “I’m grateful.”  I’m grateful.  Gratitude and joy go side by side.  Paul begins Philippians by saying, “I give thanks every time I remember you, constantly praying for you with joy!”  (1:3-4) Side by side.

(A story about who is joyful.  You had to be there.)

Is your Bible a joyful book, or is it stiff-collared and straight-laced?  Do you miss Elijah mocking the priests of Baal, “Where is your god, is he missing or has he wandered off?” (a euphemism for going to the woods to relieve himself).  Did you miss it?  How about Jesus, don’t you suppose when he told his listeners to “first take the log out of your own eye” or told the Pharisees “you tithe mint and dill but forget the weightier matters of the law,” don’t you suppose there were smiles on listener’s faces?  Jesus’ irony, hyperbole, and humor had to keep his listeners on their toes and a smile on their faces.  Did you miss that?  It had to be joyful to be around Jesus.

Paul may be the most joyful of all in spite of the beatings, imprisonment, hardships he endured.  And he writes this joyful letter to the Philippians from prison.  Prison!  Cuffed to a Roman guard.  “Rejoice in the Lord always.  I say again, Rejoice!” (4:4) 

Paul looked for a silver lining in everything.  From prison.  “Grace and peace to you from God our father and the Lord Jesus Christ.  I give thanks every time I remember you, constantly praying with joy.” (1:2-4)  These may be the most grace-filled words in the whole Bible.  These are words I could say to you.  I do thank my God every time I remember you.  I do pray for you with joy.  I am delighted to be back for another year.  I give thanks. 

So while we are waiting for this sermon series to flesh out, how are we to be joyful?  Four things: Be grateful.  Start with an attitude of gratitude.  Wake up in the morning be grateful.  At night be grateful.  Pause during the day, be grateful.  Write it down.  Second, Be joyful.  It is a gift from God.  Let God’s feeling of well-being wash over you.  Accept it.  Say “Yes.”  Be joyful.  Third, Have a Positive Attitude.  Paul saw his imprisonment as a chance to evangelize the guards!  Lastly, Laugh Again!  (Did you hear the one about the blind man that ran into the bar...and the table...and the chair?) (Again, you had to be there.)

Rosemary and I kept books by Barbara around the house in times of despair. (Stick a Geranium in Your Hat and be Happy. etc)  Chapter titles included “Smile, it kills time between disasters.”  Advice included “Each day comes bearing gifts.  Untie the ribbons.”  Laugh Again.


No comments: