Sunday, March 9, 2008

Day 33. How Real Servants Act

Day 33. How Real Servants Act

In our fast-pasted society, it is not the intent to serve that is the issue. It is finding the time. Warren has it nailed, “Real servants make themselves available to serve.” It is my short fall. I’m too busy serving to serve! And it’s not that I’m not available to God. It’s not I’m not intentionally available. And therefore, I don’t often see the needs around me that ought to demand my attention. As CS Lewis pointed out (Rosemary don’t read this one), “if you find yourselves praying when you know you ought to be up helping with the dishes, get up off your knees and go do it!”

Part of my problem is that I have chosen service that is often open-ended. Preparing a sermon can take as much time as you’d give it. And I enjoy it. Many of my lay speaking tasks, eg preparing for School of Lay Ministry, again it will take as much time as I will give it. And there are others, including these blogs that take up available time.

How do I make myself open to interruptions? How do I make it a goal of the week to follow Wesley’s admonition to “Do all the good you can, by all the means you can, in all the places you can, at all the times you can, to all the people you can, for as long as ever you can”?

What service is God nudging me to do? What good am I being called to serve this week? Will I know it when I see it?

How about you?

Rick

No comments: